Oops, I promised to put up a picture of the seed stitch hem, didn't I? Here it is, I threw the sweater-in-progress in the scanner when I'd reached the end of the first skein. I've just started the fourth skein now.
Somebody wanted to know more about knitting in one piece: well, I cast on the back and both fronts at the same time, and worked back and forth for about 11 inches (with waist shaping). I've just knit across the right-front, and then provisionally cast on 60 stitches* and knit those (and put the back and left-front stitches on a holder). Cable set-up row on the return, and now I'm working the short rows.
* Sleeve notes: I know the pattern wants long sleeves, and it does look nice that way, but I have to take my own habits into account. I am perpetually shoving my sleeves up, and growling about it, so I decided on 3/4-length sleeves. I also noticed on my first attempt that the sleeve was too tight around the upper arm, so I've added another inch there.
All this means that the short-row scheme as written will not work, and if I try to add stitches evenly across the length of the sleeves, I'll wind up with a sort of bat-wing effect that I definitely don't want. So I'm knitting back and forth across the front, and with each row I knit two stitches further into the sleeve. Mr Husband is in Utrecht with the camera, but I will take a picture as soon as I can. I don't know how useful it will be, since I'm working with such dark yarn, but for you, I will try.
I think I've decided to include the hood. Now that I've shortened the sleeves I'll probably have enough yarn.