A Cardigan for Arwen KAL

The Knit-Along for A Cardigan for Arwen by Kate Gilbert from Interweave Knits, Winter 2006. Come join the Fellowship!

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Can someone help me out here?

I've been knitting right along, delighted with the cables, happy as a clam that I was going to avoid the part of knitting I hate most -- sewing things together --until last night when I realized its time to start the sleeves and I have no clue how to begin this with these weird shaped pieces!

Sooooo....surely in this big group at least ONE of you has done this that way, and could you give me some assistance here with how to go about it?

Thanks SO VERY MUCH!!

2 Comments:

At 6/27/2007 11:29 AM, Blogger alala said...

Yep! Mine's all in one piece, and I'm working on the first sleeve now. So the start of a row will be at the right front, right? And you have markers where the side-seams would be?

So. Knit across the right front to the marker. Then, put the back and left-front on a holder of some kind.

Now, if you're going to follow the instructions as written, use the working yarn, now situated at the right armpit, and backloop cast-on another 90-some stitches. Then on the return, work the cable set-up row for the right sleeve cuff.

I've said before, however, that picking up those backloops to sew the sleeve together was a special kind of hell, and I would put in a vote for a provisional crochet cast-on here. Give me a shout if you need advice, instruction, or a tutorial on provisional cast-ons.

Good luck!

 
At 6/28/2007 9:48 AM, Blogger Bev said...

Thanks! I'll be giving it a go today....I've not done a provisional cast on before, but I do have some pretty good instructions, so I'll probably have a look at those and try it.

I'll let y'all know how it works out for me (hopefully no screeching will ensue!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home