A Cardigan for Arwen KAL

The Knit-Along for A Cardigan for Arwen by Kate Gilbert from Interweave Knits, Winter 2006. Come join the Fellowship!

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Off the Needles!!!

ARWEN IF OFF THE NEEDLES. REPEAT. ARWEN IS OFF THE NEEDLES!!!!!

I can hardly believe it!!! Yesterday at 6ish pm, I finished the last cable row of Arwen and began the kitchener stitch for the top of the hood. I have a confession to make. I don't know how to block OR put a sweater together. You see, that is why I knit sweaters in the round. No stitching up. Well....... Arwen is special, so I thought I would figure out how to do her right. Thank God for the internet.

I did a steam block with a wet towel and iron. I chose that method as I don't have the tools for the pin it out method. It worked OK, but I think I am going to get some of those cool T pins for another project.

Then, I tried the mattress stitch on my newly blocked sweater. %$#^%$#$^#@^%
It didn't work on my 1st try out, so I made something up for the underarm of one sleeve. The results were pretty bad. Back to the computer, this time with Arwen in my lap. I sort of got it, and it is beautiful. Like magic. You would think there wasn't a seam there. The wrong side even looked like the article pix from Knitty. I stopped last night at 10pm because I needed to figure out how to attach the shoulders to the back. It's not straight forward as the hood, sleeves, and fronts are all knit in one piece and I needed to go to bed.

So let's review...... reversible cables, backward co, kitchener stitch, short row shaping, blocking and mattress stitch..... I have learned a lot. Sorry no pix, I need to take a shower before church and no time with all the mattress stitching I am doing.

Praise the Lord!!! catie

3 Comments:

At 1/21/2007 7:03 PM, Blogger Patti said...

Congratulations! You should be very proud. Can't wait to see your pictures and get my own Arwen off the needles.

 
At 1/21/2007 9:49 PM, Blogger Dotty said...

Yay! What an accomplishment... I hope you get a chance to post pictures soon.

 
At 1/21/2007 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah!!! Congrats!! I can't wait to see it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home