A Cardigan for Arwen KAL

The Knit-Along for A Cardigan for Arwen by Kate Gilbert from Interweave Knits, Winter 2006. Come join the Fellowship!

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Color Me Maroon, I'm Done!


Here she is, along with me and my dog. The size came out perfect (a first for me) and I can live with the slightly iffy kitchnering on the wrists and hood. The wrists were due to my lack of skill, but the hood was an accident - the stitches came off the holder and I wasn't able to retrieve them all in just the right position. I figure most people won't notice and the rest will be too polite to say anything. Lucky for me, I'm not a perfectionist. I used a pale green Mission Falls 1824. It's soft and warm and really heavy. If I put this on a hanger it would grow 6 inches overnight. I'm new to knitting, but I can see that handmade sweaters are for drawers, not closets. I'm a slow knitter, it tooks me 5 months to make this, but at least that offset the price of the yarn. Next project will definitely have to be from Knitpicks or Elann fer sure. With Arwen done, I am eyeing the Venezia Pullover in the same issue of Interweave as Arwen. Anybody else considering it? I haven't found a KAL for it, but I think it's a good subject for one - lots of opportunity for knitting angsts and triumphs :)

9 Comments:

At 4/08/2007 8:16 PM, Blogger Linda said...

Congratsm Nadine, your Arwen looks great! I am nowhere near maroon, sadly.

 
At 4/08/2007 9:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, it's gorgeous!!! Congrats on finishing your Arwen. I'm using the Mission Falls too. Do you wash yours with Ivory Snow to wash yours like the labels' recommend? I'm trying to prevent pillage, though I must admit I haven't seen any at all with my yarn! :-D

Congrats once again!

 
At 4/08/2007 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks fantastic! Love the color!

 
At 4/08/2007 11:03 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Gorgeous. 1824 Wool is wonderful. I know what you mean about needing to order from Knit Picks or Elann. I've just been browsing both sites. I'm glad you realized the growing on a hanger effect before Arwen reached your knees.

 
At 4/09/2007 4:06 PM, Blogger birana said...

Color is very nice and it look wonderfull on you.

 
At 4/10/2007 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a Venezia KAL:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=128690.0
You hae to register at crafster, but it has lots of great stuff--TONS of KALs.
And the discussion ther on yarn types and colors is extremely useful.
Oh, LOVE, LOVE the Arwen--fits perfectly and I can't see anything other than perfection!

 
At 4/13/2007 10:14 AM, Blogger Nadine said...

Anna:
I haven't washed it yet - but I usually use an environmentally friendly gentle soap- I think it's called something like "Eco-Cover". The sweater has kind of a 'haze' and I'm starting to see a little pilling, but not bad at all. I think it just comes with the merino wool territory . I've never used a pilling stone, but the folks at my LYS say that since pilling is caused by tiny, short fibers coming loose, removing them doesn't hurt the sweater or make it thin. They said that pilling eventually stops after these short fibers are removed. I guess we'll be testing that eventually :)

 
At 4/13/2007 10:18 AM, Blogger Nadine said...

Barb:
Thanks for the compliments! Once I started to wear it, I stopped thinking or caring about the little stuff. Ready for the next project! Thanks for the info on the Venezia KAL. Picking yarn for that one will be a challenge!

 
At 4/20/2007 7:22 AM, Blogger Maggan said...

Congrats!! The color is wonderful and it looks just great.
It really suits you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home