A Cardigan for Arwen KAL

The Knit-Along for A Cardigan for Arwen by Kate Gilbert from Interweave Knits, Winter 2006. Come join the Fellowship!

Friday, March 30, 2007

Let me introduce myself.....

having just joined you!

For a number of years I've knit my adult daughter a sweater for Christmas. Its gotten to be a family joke as about this time of the year I ask her what sweater she wants and what color, then I work on it through the summer in the car as I'm travelling to art shows.

This year Arwen was her choice, BUT, there are always things she wants me to change (one of these days I'm going to have to work my way up to just designing something totally from scratch!)



Here is the swatch after I finally achieved cables! I've never knit from a chart before, so this was a little challenging, but I think I've got it.

I'm using a Caron yarn, and in the St st I've been able to achieve guage in number of stitches but not in number of rows. I haven't the faintest notion how that can happen, or how to fix it, so I'm thinking I will just have to knit fewer rows to finish. (This yarn was chosen for color, price and the fact that my daughter absolutely can not wear wool)

So, here are the things that I'll be doing that will be slightly different to make this truly a good fit for my daughter:

1) put a zipper in the front ... basically this means I'll just be knitting to a size smaller for the pattern except on the lengths of things

2) make it longer ... she loves the cables, loves the "hoodie", but hates where this will hit on her

I'm considering knitting a band of the cables to the size the bottom of the sweater would be then picking up the stitches on the side of the band and knitting up from there, I just haven't figured out how the intersection between the two bands of cables will work. This would also mean I will be knitting all in a piece, and I'm not at all sure about the logistics of the sleeve and hoodie when I get there.

So, any helpful suggestions would be great.

I'm looking forward to "talking" to you all!

4 Comments:

At 3/30/2007 11:34 AM, Blogger Beth S. said...

The zipper is a great idea. It bothers me a little bit that the cardigan has no closure. I was going to put some clasps on mine, but I think your zipper idea is better. :-)

 
At 3/31/2007 11:27 AM, Blogger Bev said...

I actually can't take credit for it, it was my daughter's idea...I think she's looking for a more "grown up" version of the hooded sweatshirts she wore all through college...something more suitable for being in HR in a school district!

 
At 4/07/2007 10:07 AM, Blogger Swatchy said...

Read through the comments on ease at the top of the arm. I was not happy with this measurement in the pattern.

Increasing the yarn overs to increase the sleeve depth is not hard to figure out, and will make the sweater more wearable.

 
At 4/07/2007 10:39 AM, Blogger Bev said...

Thanks Swatchy! I'll be sure to get a good measurement on my daughter for this area and probably will need to increase this area

 

Post a Comment

<< Home