A Cardigan for Arwen KAL

The Knit-Along for A Cardigan for Arwen by Kate Gilbert from Interweave Knits, Winter 2006. Come join the Fellowship!

Thursday, February 15, 2007

one sleeve done

... and nothing else, all yesterday or today, agh. First there was the matter of removing one pattern repeat from the cuff, because it was too big, but NOT removing a whole inch from the upper sleeve, because I didn't want the back of the sleeve to be shorter than the front of the sleeve. I solved that by knitting to five before the last wrapped stitch in short rows 5-12, and then repeating the whole sequence again, if that makes sense. So now, lady lynx, you can see the little puckers along the seam there? Those are the knitted-in wrapped stitches, and the puckering should disappear when the sweater is blocked.

Grafting the cuff? That's probably how I'll spend my time in purgatory. Yes it is lumpy and strange, I ripped out and started over oh, probably five or six times. It was awful. So even though it will make the sleeves not-exactly-alike, I'm doing a crochet-chain cast-on for the left sleeve. I want live stitches to work with, oh yes I do. Kitchenering a backward-loop cast-on is bad enough; when it's been cabled too, well, egad.

... whew.

4 Comments:

At 2/15/2007 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Your sleeve looks wonderful

 
At 2/15/2007 1:59 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I am not looking forward to grafting together my cabled backward loop cast on cuffs, either. I do not mind kitchenering and may also do a different cast on for the right sleeve portion to leave me live stitches for finishing. Perhaps keep the cabled cuff stitches live for easier grafting and then backward loop for the rest so it matches better.

 
At 2/15/2007 3:49 PM, Blogger Anna said...

Good point, sarah - the kitchenering on the plain jersey part wasn't really that bad, and in fact took less time than grafting the cuff, with all the do-overs I had.

 
At 2/15/2007 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought I was the only one that was cursing a blue streak when grafting the cuffs. I usually love kitchener stitching but this was hell.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home