A Cardigan for Arwen KAL

The Knit-Along for A Cardigan for Arwen by Kate Gilbert from Interweave Knits, Winter 2006. Come join the Fellowship!

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

about to kitchener the right sleeve

Well, it's been an eventful few weeks, and Arwen's been neglected lately, but I've just managed to finish up the right sleeve today, so I thought I'd throw a picture up there. You can see my working (bamboo) needles at the top there, then the right-front stitches on an aluminum needle, and the body stitches on a ribbon - it's quite unwieldy, and long, rolled-up sections keep falling off my lap as I knit. I'm not sorry, though. It's still better than sewing seams.

So this sleeve will have to be kitchener-ed along its entire length, which isn't really much better than sewing, is it? Oops, I should have started it with a figure-8 cast-on so I could do the bind-off seam, but it's too late to go back now.

Also, even though it's miles too late for second thoughts about the yarn, I'm having them. It's the right size, the gauge works (more or less) on size 8 needles, which is what the pattern called for, but gee these cable panels sure are thick. Are they supposed to be? Will I feel like I'm wearing armor when it's done? Other people's Arwens look so... delicate. Refined. Elegant.

Well, I guess we'll see.

4 Comments:

At 2/14/2007 12:12 PM, Blogger Tigs said...

I'm doing the Arwen I'm knitting in one piece as well. I just started the first sleeve which I was planning to kitchener closed because I hate seams on the bottom of sweater sleeves but I wasn't thinking and did the cast on they called for in the magazine. Now I'm trying to decide if I should take out the little bit I've done and cast on some other way but I'm not exactly sure what would work without giving me a major head ache.

 
At 2/14/2007 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks great, very nice. I was wondering if you could show a close up of your short rows so i can see the stitches to know if I am doing this right..

Thank you

 
At 2/14/2007 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I would LOVE someone to post tips/directions for knitting this sweater in one piece (including the suggested cast-ons).

 
At 2/14/2007 4:38 PM, Blogger alala said...

@ carrie... If you haven't gone far, I'd probably rip back and try that crochet-chain cast-on, where you can pull it out and have the live stitches on the needle. I actually finished the sleeve today and started grafting, and the first few stitches grafting into a backward-loop cast-on were a bit of a nuisance.

@ lady lynx... coming right up!

@ anon... well, I think the most I'll be able to do is tell you what I wish I'd done. But I can do that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home