A Cardigan for Arwen KAL

The Knit-Along for A Cardigan for Arwen by Kate Gilbert from Interweave Knits, Winter 2006. Come join the Fellowship!

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Swatch Positive

After some knashing of teeth about my empty bank account, the cost of yarn these days (said in my best old lady voice), and much time spent picking colors on KnitPicks, Beth asked if I had any good stash yarn. Well, there's this DK weight Jo Sharp and that DK weight cone attached to the unfinished Eris collar, and the cones destined for a sweater for my Little Man. There's no worsted. Wait ... there is!

A year ago, I bought two cones for a Rogue, which then became two cones for an Eris, and then my two cones mellowed in the stash, until last night.

Newly inspired by my train-chat with Beth, I swatched. I popped Two Towers into the DVD, plopped down on the couch, and grabbed my needles. I cast on 36 stitches, in vain hope of my washed swatch measuring 8" and knit until Arwen's first scene (1h 20m), washed and blocked the little puppy, and measured a 5 sts gauge. Argh. In the morning, I grabbed the swatch, boarded the train and re-measured. Amen! 4.5 sts! I will be knitting my Arwen with a stashed coned closeout yarn from Webs called Brora Softspun in a beautiful steely tweedy gray wool.


After such successful stash-diving, I feel the urge to buy a brooch!

2 Comments:

At 11/15/2006 3:55 PM, Blogger Beth S. said...

It has flecks! I didn't realize until I clicked on it. Nice!

 
At 11/16/2006 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! Interesting that it magically changed size overnight, though... ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home