A Cardigan for Arwen KAL

The Knit-Along for A Cardigan for Arwen by Kate Gilbert from Interweave Knits, Winter 2006. Come join the Fellowship!

Friday, November 17, 2006

Cast on/first row?

I've managed to totally confuse myself about the beginning of this pattern. (Which clearly bodes well for the rest of it. Sigh.) What cast on are you all using? I tend towards the cable cast on, which sets you up for a knit row. But according to the pattern, the first row is supposed to be a wrong side (purl) row. Will something bad happen if I start with a knit row? I feel like I'm missing something here.

3 Comments:

At 11/18/2006 12:49 AM, Blogger Anny said...

If you do a long-tail cast-on, you'll be set up for a wrong-side first row.

But seriously, I don't think anything bad will happen if you do a cable cast-on and set yourself up for a right side first row. Nada!

 
At 11/18/2006 10:16 AM, Blogger Beth S. said...

Agree with Anny--cast on whatever way you like, and start knitting whichever side you like. It's just a hem facing--you won't ever see it. ;-)

Also, I think Kate instructs us to knit a wrong-side row to create the folding ridge, but there is no law saying you couldn't purl a right-side row to accomplish the same thing. If you wanted to. ;-)

 
At 11/19/2006 4:03 PM, Blogger FemiKnitMafia said...

I cast on with a long tail and knit my hem facing length, then realized that if I wanted to join the hem right away, I'd need to purl the rows together. It was a serious pain in the ass, but I did it. But, I'd suggest following the directions better than I did.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home